Computer error codes are irritable, to say the least. A lot of them are easily fixed and not too inconvenient, but every so often, users will see errors like 0xc00d36c4. This is tedious to repair and interferes with even the simplest of video viewing features. What this error does can vary and depends on the context in which it appears. Sometimes users encounter this particular code when they attempt to transfer video files between storage mediums. Other times it will pop up when specific video files are opened.
The bottom line is that video codes are flexible and can randomly occur without good reason. This post will discuss 0xc00d36c4 in-depth, and based on our thorough research, we'll show you the best way to fix the error.
PS: here is the full MP3 vs. MP4 review for your further reading.
Why You Might See 0xc00d36c4
Like all video file errors, this error code means that Windows can't read the file's contents. Corruption is just one example of what could cause this code, but as a very broad problem, diagnosing can be a difficult task. A few examples of what could be causing it are:
- Corrupt Video File. At the root of every video error, we can quickly make corruption a prime suspect. Causing this could be a virus infection, faulty file transfers, or partition issues. Minor corruption can be fixed, although more intense corruption is less successful. Either way, corrupt videos don't like to open properly.
- Missing Video Frames. If a video is missing frames, then media players find themselves struggling to play the video. How the media player reacts will depend on the player you use. There are some players that refuse to open the file at all, whereas others will play the video up until the missing frame.
- Unsupported Format. Users are only able to open certain formats on specific systems. The majority of computers support MP4, hence why it's so popular. Less common video formats don't have as widespread compatibility.
To add to what we said before, this error code is more common with MP4 video files than other formats. That doesn't mean other types of videos aren't going to encounter it, though. What it does mean is that videos that users record through a GoPro and most smartphones are at a greater risk.
So, that's what you need to understand regarding 0xc00d36c4. The big question to answer now is what can be done to fix it.
Best Fix – Video Repair Tool
Deleting videos that are corrupt may often be the only viable solution. Unfortunately, there are files that are so corrupt that reparation simply isn't possible. The chances are that when you notice the 0xc00d36c4 error code, though, you don't have to worry about corruption as this is rarely the core of the problem.
Repairing a video that displays this error code (among many others) is possible to do with the right tools. In this case, Video Repair Tool is the ideal software for repairing problematic video files.
- Repair videos that don't open, display error codes, or have corrupt headers
- Repair errors or corrupt sections of the audio track
- Queue multiple videos to be repaired simultaneously
- Fixes issues with common video formats like MP4, MPEG, WAV, MKV, MOV, AVI, and more
- Repair problems with a video's frames (e.g., missing frames or corruption)
- Repairs and removes common error codes including 0xc00d36c4
- Can repair video files on either Windows or Mac computers
- Repairs videos of any resolution up to 4K
Buying software isn't everyone's cup of tea, so we can appreciate that you probably don't want to take out your wallet just yet. A free trial version of Stellar Phoenix's Video Repair Tool can be found on their site. Understand that using the free version will present more limits than the full version.
Overall though, this is an outstanding tool that we have found to be great at repairing and restoring files that don't open properly.
Repair 0xc00d36c4 with Video Repair Tool
The free and paid versions of the Video Repair Tool work in the exact same way. So, when you need to repair a video file, whatever file format it is, here are the steps you must follow when using Video Repair Tool:
- Step #1 – Download a copy of the Video Repair Tool and install it on your computer. Buying a license is not necessary, although it can be beneficial.
- Step #2 – Launch the repair program. From the main menu that appears, click on “Repair Video” to begin the process.
- Step #3 – On the following screen, you will be able to add any videos for repair. Press the “Add” button and use the pop-out window to choose the videos which are resulting in error codes.
- Step #4 – After adding all of the videos you intend on repairing with this program, click on “Repair.”
- Note: Before you begin the repair, you can optionally select one of the videos and click “Preview” to double-check that it is the correct file.
- Step #5 – During the repair, you can track the progression of the entire process as well as for individual videos.
- Step #6 – After the Video Repair Tool completes the video reparations, click “Save” and choose a folder to save the new video files.
Now you can view those new video files and watch each of them to discover if the 0xc00d36c4 error is still happening. Rarely this won't work, so hopefully, your videos are error-free! If not, severe corruption is one possibility, and there aren't many optimal solutions for that.
Can I Recover Lost Videos?
Let's move on and consider the fact that in some cases, repairing an error code is impossible. Hope is all but gone because what you can try instead is recovering the video file. There are a few different angles to this.
First, we must consider the storage device you are using. USB drives, for example, are more friendly for data recovery than DVD discs are. Nonetheless, where do we begin? We start by using Wondershare Recoverit.
- Recover virtually any filetypes (videos and many others)
- Restores lost files from any type of storage device
- Previews the selected device's contents to allow for selective recovery
- Provides a selection of data recovery modes for different situations
- Enables recovery of corrupt, infected, or lost files
- Navigable scanning results so that users can easily find specific files
So if you grab a copy of Recoverit as a second-line solution for 0xc00d36c4, that won't be the only time you'll use it. This software is perfect for virtually every data loss situation, and for that single reason, we recommend using it.
Steps to Recover Videos
To use Wondershare Recoverit, you'll need to install a software solution on your computer. In addition, you will face the decision of using the free trial or purchasing a license. Ideally, the latter should be used, but either way, this is how to use it:
- Step #1 – Launch Recoverit once you install it and connect whichever storage device your video is stored on.
- Step #2 – When you see the Recoverit main menu, there will be different recovery modes to choose from. This guide will focus on using “Deleted Files Recovery.”
- Step #3 – The storage devices that Recoverit has detected will be listed. Select the correct device and click on “Start” to continue.
- Step #4 – A short scan will commence. If you're scanning a large hard drive, then this will, of course, take a while for Recoverit to scan fully.
- Step #5 – After the scan finishes, there will be a list of files on your screen. Using the directory menu on the left, find the folder containing the video.
- Step #6 – Select the video that displays the error code or multiple videos. Click on “Recover” and choose an appropriate recovery destination folder.
One precaution to take is not recovering the video in the same place it currently is. This could lead to further problems and may even leave the original file corrupt forever.
How this works does seem rather confusing. Basically, error code 0xc00d36c4 can arise from missing or corrupt video frames. If that's the problem, then recovering the original file will often help. So if Video Repair Tool wasn't delivering and it didn't resolve the error, try Recoverit instead.
If you try both of those software solutions in an attempt to fix the 0xc00d36c4 video error code, the chances of a full recovery are as high as they could possibly be. Some videos are beyond repair. It won't matter how much effort you put into repairing them, or which tools you use. You can't repair videos like that, so if neither Video Repair Tool or Recoverit is effective, repairing is more than likely a lost cause. Hopefully, this isn't the case, and you find that one of the software solutions above gets you positive results!